25 March, 2015 Top Six: Blogger-Enabled Beauty Loves
The lovely Rebecca (who writes From Roses and contributes to A Little Opulent) recently wrote about the brands that bloggers introduced her to in this post, and it got me thinking about the brands and products I regularly incorporate into my daily routine, that I’ve heard about through the blogging community. Whilst there are always going to be the products that bloggers and editors hype up (LRP’s Serozinc and Charlotte Tilbury’s Filmstar Bronze & Glow are the most well-known in my stash), there are some that have caught my eye in blog posts and Youtube videos that I would never have purchased otherwise, yet are amazing additions to my collection.
All the bloggers I’ve mentioned in this post can be found on my blogroll, but I’ll add all the relevant links in this post too if you fancy having a snoop.
1. First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads – These miracle workers had been on my radar for a while, but Maree from A Little Bit Etc. completely sold me on them. Gentle yet seriously potent and effective, these brightening and exfoliating pads slough off dead skin and help improve discolouration as well as neutralising redness, blemish scarring and blackheads. I’ve been through two full-size tubs and am currently using a mini pack I bought for travelling because I missed them so much in my routine! £17.60 here, Maree’s blog here.
2. Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick in 316 Incognito – Allana Davison is quickly becoming one of my favourite Youtubers and her tutorials and recommendations are spot-on. She recommended this beautiful sheer nude lipstick in September last year and within a matter of days I had it in my possession. Incognito is a very light mauve-brown that feels gorgeous and silky on the lips, but actually lasts for a solid three hours or so without needing to reapply. It doesn’t get sticky, the packaging is divine and it’s one of those lipsticks that I can always rely on no matter what makeup look I’m going for. £24 here, Allana’s blog here.
3. Tarte 12-Hour Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed – I’d been looking for a neutral matte blush as my regular pinks and corals were looking too Barbie-esque on my super-pale skin, and Tamira from Lipstick With Some Sunshine always raves about how perfect this mauve-nude is for any occasion. The formula is seriously pigmented, smooth and buttery, and it’s completely fool-proof; it never looks caky or patchy, and you can build up the intensity depending on how much coverage you prefer. It looks gorgeous on any skin colour and is definitely one to pick up if you’re browsing the Sephora site. $26 here, Tamira’s blog here.
4. By Terry Ombre Blackstar in Misty Rock – I don’t always love Lily from Lily Pebbles’ recommendations, but recently her videos and blog posts have been excellent. Her ‘February Makeup Menu’ (here) featured some fab products, but the star of the show was the beautiful Misty Rock Ombre Blackstar from By Terry. This creamy shadow pencil is perfect for day or night, and features multiple tones and shimmers, including violet, mink, taupe, and a hint of champagne as well. It’s great all over the lid or blended up into the crease for an effortless look and it’s all I’ve been wearing on night’s out. Needless to say I was in Space NK picking it up within 24 hours of watching her video! £29 here, Lily’s blog link here.
5. Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder – Although I still adore the Soap & Glory One Heck Of A Blot for getting rid of mid-day shine, this lovely powder works amazingly well at keeping me matte without powdering over my foundation, concealer and blush, and keeps things looking natural and fresh. Anna from Vivianna Does Makeup is one of my absolute favourite bloggers and I’ve often found some great products from her recommendations, but this one is probably my favourite as it’s so affordable, easy to travel with (the slim packaging and mirror are fab) and it lasts for AGES. I use the shades Vanilla and Beige Clair depending on how pale/tanned I am, and Vanille has a lovely yellow tinge that makes it great for setting under-eye concealer. £8.99 here, Anna’s blog here.
6. L’Oreal True Match Concealer – My last blogger-enabled purchase is another great drugstore find, this time from the ultra-glam Amelia from Amelia Liana. I’m quite fussy with concealers, so I didn’t have great expectations about L’Oreal’s True Match Concealer, but I adore it now. Great for highlighting, concealing blemishes and neutralizing redness, this has a lovely creamy consistency that dries down to a semi-matte finish and lasts a good 6-7 hours. I use shades 02 and 04 (02 under my eyes, 04 on spots) and would recommend this if you’re looking for medium coverage that will last the working day and keep your imperfections covered without fading or smudging. £6.99 here, Amelia’s blog here.