31 December, 2014 14 Things I’ve Loved About 2014
Instead of my usual monthly favourites, I thought I’d list my favourite 14 beauty products, personal highlights, events and people from the last 365 days. This includes new discoveries, firm favourites that I’ve revisited, and general craziness from the last six months as a beauty blogger. Enjoy!
- Sali Hughes’ Pretty Honest and her ‘In The Bathroom’ Series – I love everything about Sali. Her honesty, style and perspective on beauty as a tool to empower women embodies everything a beauty writer should be. Her debut beauty manual was a huge success and I think every girl who’s interested in beauty, style and general womanhood should own a copy. Her ‘In The Bathroom’ video series was also a huge love for me this year – interviews include rifling through Charlotte Tilbury, Caitlin Moran and Brix Smith-Start’s bathroom cupboards, and a really eye-opening interview about mental health with chick-lit queen Marian Keyes.
- Claire Marshall’s Va Va Voom Lip Swatch Extravaganza – If you watch beauty tutorials, hauls and reviews on Youtube, chances are you know who Claire Marshall is. She’s a tattooed East Coast makeup artist, and her frank advice and impeccable sense of style makes her someone I trust absolutely. She’s not afraid to show a bare face on camera, and her lip-syncing and swatching video of Nicki Minaj’s Va Va Voom showing off her favourite lipsticks is one of the most flawlessly edited I’ve ever seen.
- Blog Chats and the London Beauty Blogger Meetup – On December 18th I had the chance to meet up with some fellow beauty bloggers from London at Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park, and it was such a brilliant experience. Everyone was so kind and friendly and as it was my first meetup, it gave me an amazing insight into the blogging community. Here are links to their blogs: Vix Meldrew, Polly’s Pocket Book, Lauren from Blonde Vision, Sam from Beautifie, Jasmin Charlotte, Jodie from A La Jode, and Tamsyn from Peach Pow XO.
- Agent Provocateur Fatale Eau de Parfum – This perfume is my new cold-weather favourite and it ticks every box – sexy, sultry, sweet and fresh. £36 here, and read my review here.
- Charlotte Tilbury – I think it’s fair to say that 2014 was Charlotte Tilbury’s year. Her brand launch in late 2013 was incredible, and her new products including the Matte Revolution lipsticks have been truly fabulous additions to my beauty collection. For in-depth reviews of the bulk of her line, click here, here, here and here.
- Graduating University – A less beauty-centric highlight of my year, but 2014 was the year I became a graduate from The University of Birmingham. I had an amazing three years and although I’m not continuing with my original plan of an MA, phD, etc etc, I loved my course and would recommend English Literature as a degree to anyone who loves reading and has the patience to get through Paradise Lost.
- The Body Shop’s Vitamin E Moisture Serum – Back to beauty. I probably mentioned this little wonder in every skincare post I’ve written so far, and it’s the main reason my skin has been calmer and less reactive recently. £12 here.
- The Kylie Jenner Lip Trend – You’d be hard tasked to find someone who hadn’t heard of Kylie Jenner (or her ginormous lips) this year. She brought the 90s back with a bang and made chokers cool again. Click here and here for reviews featuring some great deep nude-mauve shades – MAC’s Mehr is my favourite.
- Diorskin STAR Foundation – This foundation can do no wrong in my book. A semi-matte base with enough dewiness to look natural and fresh, this camouflages dull, sallow skin and makes me look healthier with a few strokes of my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. £32 here and a full review here.
- Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil – 2014 was the year I learnt how to ‘do’ brows. This pencil is expensive, but it creates a full, natural brow look without any crunchiness or crispy bits. Has a great spoolie too. £26 here.
- Soap & Glory One Heck Of A Blot – My new go-to face powder and one I’d recommend to all my oily gals out there. So brilliant at mattifying skin whilst keeping makeup looking fresh and cake-free. £12 here.
- REN Flash Rinse 1 Minute Facial – I started a series on the blog called ‘Face Mask Friday’, where I tested out a new mask every week and discussed my initial thoughts. This mask from REN was a real standout for me; it exfoliates, brightens, clarifies and tightens pores, and it’s seriously quick and easy to use. £32 here, and a full review here.
- Sanctuary Spa Shower Oil – If you’re looking for a cheap and cheerful shower gel that requires little moisturising afterwards and is great for shaving, I’ve just the thing for you. This feels a lot more expensive than it really is, and is a great product for a pamper evening. £7 here.
- Rimmel Santa Rose Blusher – A rediscovered beauty favourite that is perfect whatever the weather, this blusher perks up my cheeks and imparts a lovely peachy glow that lasts all day. £3.99 here and a full review here.
My 2014 was a pretty special year, and I’ve loved watching my blog grow and seeing new subscribers and readers every day. Thank you to everyone who’s helped me with their positive comments and suggestions, and I can’t wait to see what 2015 has to offer!
Have you checked out any of these blog posts/products I’ve listed here? Tell me in the comments below, and let me know if you’ve posted a 2014 roundup – I’d love to read it!
Happy New Year!